Herein I create a list of awesome wrestling matches that I wish to see again, in no particular order:
- DDP vs. Sting on WCW Nitro for the Word Title – this happened shortly after Sting won the belt, I believe, and went back and forth. Like many good wrestling matches, you’re never quite sure who’s going to win, and the whole thing ends with reversals and finishers and one man victorious, and in true face vs. face style, both men looking like champs.
- Mike Awesome vs. Rhyno on WWF RAW – one of the best hardcore matches during which Rhyno was powerbombed onto a steel ladder on concrete, denting and destroying the ladder.
- Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka at ECW One Night Stand – they went for it all, and threw more match-ending moves than any one match should have, culminating with an Awesomebomb over the top rope to the outside that still isn’t the last big move of the match!
- Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit on WCW Nitro – this was a tribute match at Kemper Arena, the site of Owen Hart’s death, and went on for about 30 minutes. There’s a tiny clip of this match in the opening to Malcolm in the Middle.
- Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin on WWE RAW – this was just one of those matches that they booked for no reason at all (well, the “Gold Rush” tournament), and became fantastic based solely on the skills of the two men involved with Shawn superkicking Shelton in mid-air as he springboarded off the top rope.
- Raven vs. Rhyno at Backlash 2001 – Raven calls this maybe the best hardcore match ever. Who am I to disagree?
- Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon at Wrestlemania X – for the Intercontinental Title, this was the first televised ladder match in WWF history.Â This propelled Shawn into the main event, and created many of the spots we recognize in ladder matches today.
- Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon at King of the Ring 2001 – this was a brutal streetfight and, true to his style, Shane McMahon proves he’s got more balls than most full-time wrestlers.Â They took it all over the arena, and destroyed the set before finishing off with the kind of creative highspot that we expect from Shane-o-mac.
More matches submitted by other folks:
- Tajiri vs. Muta – So much green mist to the face you guys have no idea.
- Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania – How could this not be a great match?
- Bret vs. Owen at Wrestlemania X – brother versus brother!Â Hart-style wrestling at its finest.
I will update this as I remember more awesome matches and find the videos!